Please, please, please remember many cats like to chew on plants, and if you’re going to have live plants in your home, you must be aware of which plants are poisonous to cats. The effect of poisonous plants can range from mild gastrointestinal upset to severe neurological damage and death. Some plants may cause irritation and inflammation on contact with the skin or mouth, other plants may affect specific organs like the heart or kidneys. I know plants are beautiful but as pet owners you need to be responsible and understand you are their caretakers and need to be aware of which plants and flowers are harmful to them.
|Autumn Crocus||Iris||Bird of Paradise||Kalanchoe|
|Daffodil||Poinsettia||Day Lily*||Rubrum Lily*|
|Rubrum Lily*||Easter Lily*||Stargazer Lily*||Elephant Ear|
|Tiger Lily*||Tulip||Gladiola||Wood Lily*|
|Asparagus Fern||Emerald Feather||Plumosa Fern||Lace Fern|
|Aglaonema||Dracaena Fragrans||Arrowhead Vine||Dracaena Marginata|
|Aloe Vera||Morning Glory||Anthurium||Mother-in-law's Tongue|
|Arum or Calla Lily||Nightshade||Hellebore||Pussy's Ears|
|Aloe Vera||Crown of Thorns||Firestick||Pencil Tree Plant|
|Pencil Cactus||Panda Plant||Mother of Thousands||Mother of Millions|
|Devil’s Backbone||Chandelier Plant||Jade Plant||Snake Plant|
|Silver Jade Plant||String of Pearls||String of Peas Plant|
There are several symptoms that are often present in poisoning. Nausea is almost always a symptom, odd behavior, unsteady walk, shaking, pawing at the mouth, diarrhea and seizures are also often present. Since cats often regurgitate hairballs and grass it's a good idea to keep an eye on them to see if they have been into any dangerous plants or if they are just working through a hairball.
Loss of appetite or excessive drinking or peeing are other possible symptoms of poisoning.
If you suspect poisoning, act quickly. Remove any remaining plant material, contact your vet immediately and get your animal to help as soon as you can. Bring a sample of the plant to the vet's for identification.
Quick action is best because this can reduce the amount of exposure you cat suffers. If a long period of time has passed it's likely the poison has been absorbed and treatment options become limited. Sometimes all your vet can do is try to stabilize the animal.
If you notice any of the symptoms above, or if you even just suspect your cat may have eaten a toxic plant, take your cat to a veterinarian immediately. Take a piece of the plant with you.
For a more comprehensive list with pictures, check out the ASPCA Animal Poison Control's website